CICIO'S LAW BLOG
CICIO & CICIO, P.C.
LAW OFFICES OF CICIO & CICIO, P.C.
2153 14TH AVENUE SOUTH
BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA 35205
PHONE: (205) 939-1327
FAX: (205) 939-1360
August 21, 2015
There is an estimated 10,000 people per year who pass away from asbestos exposure illnesses. Approximately 4,800 people are diagnosed each year with asbestos-related cancer.
Asbestos exposure occurs when breathing in or swallowing asbestos fibers. Asbestos related illnesses manifest from heavy and repeated exposure to asbestos. After heavy and repeated asbestos exposure, the asbestos fibers cause scarring and inflammation in the lungs causing breathing difficulties, cancer and other illnesses. These symptoms may not manifest until 10 to 50 years after the initial asbestos exposure. For more information on asbestos related injuries and exposure, please visit our website.
In Alabama there are approximately 350 asbestos exposure job sites. If you or a loved one suffers from a lung condition or cancer and have possible exposure to asbestos, contact Cicio & Cicio, P.C. for a free initial consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.
December 30, 2016
1. Birmingham, Alabama City Counsel to review an ordinance allowing ridesharing companies such as Uber to operate in the City of Birmingham. Click for details.
2. In an Alabama lawsuit, men seek money lost on fantasy sports websites. Click for details.
3. The 20 most dangerous products in America. Click for details.
4. Alabama Department of Motor Vehicles agrees to provide voter registration option in the future. Click for details.
5. BP agrees to $20 billion settlement with Department of Justice and five states, including Alabama for Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Click for details.
6. ABA joining call for stricter laws regulating private possession of dangerous wild animals as pets. Click for details.
7. Judge giving choice for those owing fines with no money to either give blood for $100 credit or get handcuffed by the Sheriff. Click for details.
8. AG Strange announces conviction of Montgomery, Alabama woman for violation of grand jury secrecy. Click for details.
9. Alabama court strikes down grandparent visitation law. Click for details.
MILITARY VETERANS - ASBESTOS EXPOSURE
(May 12, 2016)
A myriad of veterans from all branches of service (Navy, Air Force, Army, Marines, Coast Guards) were in all likelihood exposed to asbestos. Statistics show that approximately 30% of all known mesothelioma deaths are veterans having had asbestos exposure related to military service. Prior to the mid 1990s, some examples of where asbestos was used were primarily within housing units, barracks, water vessels, aircrafts, military and armored vehicles, shipyards, engine/boiler rooms, fireproof clothing, mess halls, storage facilities, training facilities, roofing shingles, electrical products, heating and air condition units, concrete building foundations, flooring and ceiling tiles.
The most extensive use of asbestos during the wars were in WW II and the Korean Conflict, but have been used in other wars as well. Soldiers in Iraq and other foreign regions are still being exposed to asbestos due to no regulations for asbestos usage. All ships commissioned by the U.S. Navy between 1930 and roughly 1970 contained asbestos, making asbestos exposure extremely high due to living in close quarters and the lack of ventilation below deck.
Military Veterans working as fire fighters, plumbers, electricians, construction and demolition personnel, aircraft and vehicle mechanics, pilots, heating and air condition technicians, pipefitters, carpenters, machinist and inspectors, among others positions, at some point in their military service were exposed to asbestos fibers. It has been established that most military service personnel prior to the mid 1900s are believed to have been exposed to materials containing asbestos fibers. Asbestos related illnesses do not necessarily occur from only long-term asbestos exposure; just one day of exposure to material containing asbestos fibers is capable of causing asbestos related illnesses. The affects of asbestos exposure may not be known for 20 to 50 years after the exposure.
Military Veterans with duty-related mesothelioma can receive monthly disability compensation if separated service with an honorable discharge and with the submission of documents and medical information required forwarded to the V.A. (Veteran’s Administration). Having an experienced and knowledgeable asbestos attorney assisting in this process is highly recommended to ensure the appropriate information is submitted within the time allotted.
CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS
1. Dodge Durango/Jeep Grand Cherokee (power module) - Deadline: n/a
2. East Bay Motorsports (California) - Deadline: n/a
3. Pre-Employ, Inc. (FCRA) - Deadline: n/a
4. Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Chiropractor) - Deadline n/a
5. City of Gahanna Ohio (Income Tax) - Deadline: n/a
6. California Lorna Jane (Gift Card) - Deadline: TBD
7. Lincoln Windows (South Carolina) - Deadline: TBD
8. Remington Rifles - Deadline: 9/14/2016
9. Credit Acceptance Corp (Arkansas) - Deadline: 9/22/2016
10. Cablevision (NJ/NY/CT) - Deadline: 9/23/2016
11. Vitamin Shoppe (California) - Deadline: 9/23/2016
12. Chicago Coal Dust - Deadline: 9/24/2016
13. Flushmate (Toilet) - Deadline: 9/25/2016
14. Zara USA (FACTA) - Deadline: 9/26/2016
15. Convergent (TCPA) - Deadline: 9/26/2016
16. ArcelorMittal USA, Inc. (Pennsylvania) - Deadline: 9/26/2016
17. CTVEA (Set-Top Box) (Alabama) - Deadline: 9/27/2016
18. Rexall Sundown/NBTY (Glucosamine Supplement) - Deadline: 9/28/2016
19. Garmin (Forerunner 610) - Deadline: 9/28/2016
20. Equifax Information Services (FCRA) - Deadline: 9/28/2016
21. Halcon Energy Properties (Pennsylvania) - Deadline: 9/28/2016
22. Mercedes-Benz USA (Sprinter AC) - Deadline: 9/29/2016
23. Global Marketing Research (TCPA) - Deadline: 9/30/2016
24. Subaru of America - Deadline: 10/1/2016
25. USAA (Auto Policy) (Washington) - Deadline: 10/3/2016
26. LCD Flat Panel Device (Illinois) - Deadline: 10/4/2016
27. Shire (Adderall XR) - Deadline: 10/7/2016
28. First Niagara Bank (New York) - Deadline: 10/8/2016
29. Lowe’s (EEOC) - Deadline: 10/9/2016
30. LG (Washing Machine) - Deadline: 10/10/2016
31. Maytag/Kenmore/Whirpool (Moldy Washers) - Deadline: 10/11/2016
32. Paypal, Inc. (Transaction Disputes) - Deadline: 10/14/2016
33. Massage Envy Franchising (Prepaid) - Deadline: 10/18/2016
34. BMW (Water Pump) - Deadline: 10/21/2016
35. Tresemme Naturals - Deadline: 10/24/2016
36. Shell (Skifree Voucher) - Deadline: 10/25/2016
37. The Harvard Drug Group/Expert-Med (TCPA) - Deadline: 10/25/2016
38. HealthSouth/Arthroscopic Surgery Center - Deadline: 10/25/2016
39. Portfolio Recovery Services (TCPA) - Deadline: 10/26/2016
40. Citizens Bank (TCPA) - Deadline: 10/27/2016
41. Home Depot - (Data Breach) - Deadline: 10/29/2016
42. Cash Store/Instaloans (Ontario) - Deadline: 10/31/2016
43. Zions First National Bank (Telemarketing Drafts) - Deadline: 11/1/2016
44. Gannett Company (TCPA) - Deadline: 11/5/2016
45. BrassCraft Plumbing (Defects) - Deadline: 11/9/2016
46. Greyhound Lines (ADA) - Deadline: 11/10/2016
47. Synchrony Bank (TCPA) - Deadline: 11/14/2016
48. Apartment Downtown/Campus (Iowa City) - Deadline: 11/15/2016
49. HSBC North American Holdings - Deadline: 11/15/2016
50. Angie’s List (Members) - Deadline: 11/15/2016
51. First American Title Insurance - Deadline: 11/18/2016
52. HireRight (FCRA) - Deadline: 11/21/2016
53. Rodale, Inc. (Magazine Subscribers) (Michigan) - Deadline: 11/21/2016
54. Citizens Bank (HELOC) - Deadline: 11/22/2016
55. Philip Morris (Marlboro Lights) (Seven States) - Deadline: 11/28/2016
56. Radio Shack (Unused Gift Cards) - Deadline: 12/2/2016
57. Astellas (Prograf) - Deadline: 12/6/2016
58. Clark County Collection Service (TCPA) - Deadline: 12/12/2016
59. Haliburton Energy/Transocean Deepwater - Deadline: 12/15/2016
60. Hoechst Marion Roussel, et al (Cipro) (California) - Deadline: 12/15/2016
61. American Honda Finance (SCRA) - Deadline: 12/31/2016
2017 thru 2022 Deadlines
62. Mitsubishi LaserVue TV - Deadline: 1/25/2017
63. National Milk Producers Federation - Deadline: 1/31/2017
64. Tacoma Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (TCPA) - Deadline: 2/3/2017
65. Lincoln Windows (South Carolina) - Deadline: 2/6/2017
66. Regions Bank (Forced Placed Insurance) - Deadline: 2/21/2017
67. Ford/Lincoln (Spark Plugs) - Deadline: 2/27/2017
68. Open Energy (34 Watt Solar Tiles) - Deadline: 3/8/2017
69. Tacoma Dodge (TCPA) - Deadline: 3/9/2017
70. Caterpillar, Inc. (Diesel Engine) - Deadline: 3/20/2017
71. St. Joseph Health System (Data Breach) - Deadline: 4/1/2017
72. Remington Rifle (Defective Trigger) - Deadline: 6/14/2017
73. KB Home (Florida) - Deadline: 8/10/2017
74. Sony Pictures Entertainment (Cyber Attack) - Deadline: 12/31/2017
75. CertainTeed (Fiber Cement Siding) - Deadline: 1/1/2018
76. LP Building Products (Defective Product) - Deadline: 12/31/2018
77. Poz-Lok (Fire Sprinkler) - Deadline: 6/7/2019
78. Watts (Toilet Connectors) - Deadline: 8/4/2019 (for property damage)
79. Kitec (Pipes/Fittings) - Deadline: 1/9/2020
80. Zurn (Pex Pipe Fittings) - Deadline: 4/1/2020
81. GAF (Timberline Shingles) - Deadline: 4/22/2022
82. Electrolux (Dryer) - Deadline: 12/31/2022 (for fires)
- Sony (lithium ion battery) $19.5 million
- Denso (price fixing) $255 million
- American Express (TCPA) $9.25 million
- WEN Hair Care $26,250,000
- Amgen, Inc. (securities) $95 million
- AT&T (cramming charges) $8 million
- Shell (gift/fuel rewards cards) $762,500
- Bayer CropScience (plant explosion) $5.6 million
Babe Ruth: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-babe-ruth.html>
Paul Newman: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/24.html>
George Washington: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-george-washington.html>
Frank Sinatra: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-frank-sinatra.html>
Elvis Presley: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-elvis-presley.html>
Walt Disney: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-walt-disney.html>
Princess Diana: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-princess-diana.html>
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain): <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-samuel-clemens-mark-twain.html>
Benjamin Franklin: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-benjamin-franklin.html>
One of Last Wishes: That in a democracy, his daughter not engage in “the expensive, vain and useless pastime of wearing jewels.”
Richard Nixon: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-richard-nixon.html>
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-jacqueline-kennedy-onassis.html>
John F. Kennedy, Jr. : <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-john-kennedy-jr.html>
John Kennedy: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-john-kennedy.html>
“Shoeless Joe” Jackson: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-joe-jackson.html>
Clark Gable: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-clark-gable.html>
Joe DiMaggio: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-joseph-p-dimaggio.html>
Edward M. “Ted” Kennedy: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-edward-ted-kennedy.html>
George M. Steinbrenner, III - Will: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-george-steinbrenner.html>
George M. Steinbrenner, III - Codicil: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/first-codicil-to-the-last-will-and-testament-of-george-steinbrenner.html>
Thomas Jefferson: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-thomas-jefferson.html>
Michael Jackson: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-michael-jackson.html>
William Shakespeare: <http://www.bardweb.net/will.html>
One of Last Wishes: That his wife receive his “second best bed”.
Marilyn Monroe: <https://www.livingtrustnetwork.com/estate-planning-center/last-will-and-testament/wills-of-the-rich-and-famous/last-will-and-testament-of-marilyn-monroe.html>
Allocated all of her belongings and clothes, including her underwear, to her acting coach Lee Stasberg.
Ludwig van Beethoven: <http://www.duhaime.org/LawMuseum/LawArticle-658/The-Last-Will-of-Ludwig-van-Beethoven.aspx>
Adolf Hitler: <http://www.duhaime.org/LawMuseum/LawArticle-659/The-Last-Will-of-Adolf-Hitler.aspx>
Famous People Died Without a Will
Jimi Hendrix - After 30 years, entire estate went to his father, leaving nothing for two children he had out of wedlock.
Pablo Picasso - After six years to settle his estate, assets divided among six heirs.
Howard Hughes - Two years after death, estate divided among 22 cousins.
Abraham Lincoln - Two years after his death, assets divided among wife and two sons.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - Since 1968 to current, family still fighting over control of his estate.
Prince - Still to be determined who receives his assets.
The following language is required pursuant to Rule 7.2, Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct. No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney/client relationship.